[ghc]Games Forums

Full Version: new 3d card or
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should i buy now a new 3d card or should i wait a year and get a whole new computer? I currently have 290 euros in total of which i want to spend 240 euros max on a new card. Over a year i will have over 600 euros.

My current specs: P4b 2.66 ghz, 512 mb of pc2700, Asus V9280S(based on ti4200) and a 300 watt psu.
I\'d buy another stick of ram, that\'ll give you a nice boost.
Can\'t you just get a faster P4, and set the bios, or jumpers, or whatever it is?

SC
i have a P4B so the fsb is 533 mhz. To upgrade my proc i need to buy a new motherboard.
tbh, id wait until Cell systems go mainstream next year....

I won\'t upgrade now until Cell\'s become affordable.... I think my baby will last till then:

P4E 3Ghz (HT enabled)
2Gb DDR400 (dual channel 4x 512)
256mb X800 Pro
650W PSU.

p.s. if you want a faster P4 and/or a brand spanking new 3D Card, you NEED a bigger PSU, i tried running my system on a 350W.... didn\'t happen Smile
I was actually contemplating getting myself a new ATI graphics card. Not sure I wanna swap my power supply again though (400W), but if one must, one must.

And no other gfx card producer than ASUS for me thank you very much.
i thouhgt cell wouldnt go mainstream.
I say wait, 2006 will be the year in which we\'ll get into the upgrading spiral. You\'ll get PCI-xpress, new CPU\'s (64b/cell?) and amazing video cards.
AFAIK cell isn\'t going to be around until more than a year ahead, and its first implementation will be for the Playstation 3.

Also there\'s a lot of debate about this cell stuff on Slashdot. TBH, I\'m not sure it\'s nothing to take into account if you plan to renew your computer in a short term.
Erm shift, first Cell workstations are shipping this year, with public sales in 2006. As said by the IBM chief.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's